Folding Method And Operation Steps Of Filter Paper
Filtration is known as the process which separates solids from liquids or gases by using a filter medium, and only allows the fluid or gas passing through the filter but not the solid.
In the process of filtration, filter papers play an important role, working as a semi-permeable barrier separating fine substances from liquids or gases. Before you select a filter paper, here are some important parameters you’d better consider.
First, check your particle size the filter paper can hold on, different particle retention will be found in different filter papers. Whether the filtered chemical is compatible with your solution is the next for you to check, as it might affect the contamination of your sample by the wrong filter papers. If you need to get the solid sample off the filter, choose the papers that can do surface filtration instead of volume filtration.
The loading capacity and the flow rate of the filter papers are also needed to learn before you buy them. The loading capacity shows how much solid sample the filter paper can hold before it gets clogged up. And the flow rate is the key to the speed of solution flowing through the filter paper. In vacuum filtration, the wet strength should be measured too.
Folding Method of Filter Paper
In the experiment, the filter paper was used together with filter funnel and Brinell funnel. The filter paper needs to be folded into a suitable shape before application. The filter paper is commonly folded into a flower-like shape. The higher the folding degree of the filter paper, the higher the surface area can be provided, and the better the filtration effect is. Put the draining glass rod on the multi-layer filter paper, force evenly, avoid filter paper damage.
Operation Steps of Filter Paper
1. Fold the filter paper in half, twice in a row, and fold into a 90° center angle shape.
2. Press one side of the folded filter paper into three layers, and press the other side into one layer, so that it turns into funnel-shaped.
3. Put the funnel filter paper into the funnel, the filter paper edge should be lower than the funnel edge, pour some clear water into the funnel mouth, so that the soaked filter paper and the inner wall of the funnel stick, and then pour the remaining clean water, to be used.
4. Place a funnel loaded with filter paper on a funnel rack for filtration (e.g. on a ring of an iron stand), place a beaker or test tube under the funnel neck to receive the filtered fluid, and place the tip of the funnel neck against the wall of the receiving container.
5. The liquid to be filtered is injected into the funnel, the right-hand holds the liquid beaker, the left-hand hold the glass rod, the lower end of the glass rod is close to the lower side of the funnel three layers so that the cup mouth is close to the glass rod, the liquid to be filtered out along the cup mouth, then inclined along the glass rod, homeopathic flow into the funnel, flow to the liquid in the funnel, the liquid level cannot exceed the height of the filter paper in the funnel.
6. When the liquid passes through the filter paper and flows down the funnel neck, check if the liquid flows down the cup wall and into the bottom of the cup. Otherwise, the beaker or rotating funnel should be moved so that the tip of the funnel is firmly attached to the beaker wall so that the liquid can flow slowly along the inner wall of the beaker.