How to Choose Filter Paper?
Filtration is a kind of physical changes which separate solid impurities from the liquid through porous filter media, only fluid can pass by the porous filter media. So the degree of retention determines the separation efficiency.
Hawach provides various options to satisfy every laboratory requirements. The most correct type can always help you improve your work efficiency and increase analysis experiment success rate. Two main categories – Quantitative and Qualitative.
You may ask a few questions as below before choosing a filter paper:
1. For Qualitative or Quantitative analyses?
2. How much pore size or particle retention needed?
3. How strong wet strength paper needed?
4. What size and diameter preferred?
5. Burn out or no after filtration?
6. Pre-pleated, folded or flat surface?
7. Does the sample required before bulk purchase?
1. Quick filter paper with loose pore structure, easy to spread, suitable for high Rf value samples and large viscosity developing agent, mostly used for filtering colloidal precipitates.
2. Slow filter paper, not easy to spread, suitable for low Rf value samples and less viscosity developing agent, but the development time is longer, mainly for filtering fine crystal precipitates.
3. Medium speed filter paper is mostly used to filter coarse crystals.