To be specific, the function of filter paper is to filter paper chromatography. As inert support, the filter paper fiber has a strong affinity with water and it can absorb 22% of the water. On the contrary, the filter paper fiber has a weak affinity with organic solvent.
In general, filter paper chromatography uses bound water in the fiber as the immobile phase and the organic solvent as the mobile phase. When the mobile phase flows through the sample on filter paper, the solute on the sample is distributed continually between water and organic solvent. Part of the sample moves with the mobile phase and flows into the non-solute area and some other solute will flow into the immobile phase with the mobile phase. With the continuous movement of the mobile phase, separation and purification of matters can be achieved through filter paper.
Basic properties of filter paper
The selection of suitable filter paper must be determined by the following four factors. First, the hardness. Filter paper will be wetted during filtration. The second is its filtration efficiency, which is mainly determined by the tightness of the seepage holes on the filter paper and the size of the holes. Then there is the capacity, which is mainly determined by the density of the holes through which water seeps. The denser the holes, the higher the capacity. Finally, applicability, some filter paper production steps are very special, so the application must pay attention to it.
Filter paper selection factor
In the selection of filter paper should consider the following points:
1. Effective area is large, that is, filter paper use area is large, dust capacity is large, resistance is small, and service life is long, of course, the cost is also increased accordingly.
2. The thinner the fiber diameter, the better the interception effect and the higher the filtration efficiency.
3. The binder content in the filter material binder content is high, the paper’s tensile strength is high, the filtration efficiency is high, the shedding phenomenon is less, and the filter material background dust is small, with good resistance, but the corresponding increase in resistance.
All HAWACH filter papers are produced with high-purity α-cellulose and cotton fiber, with low ash content, is low background value, and low impurity dissolution rate; HAWACH adopts ISO9001 management system and has strict quality control links, which ensures high consistency of filter paper between batches and different batches. What’s more, its quality is proved by certification of safety test reports on heavy metal ions, etc. with CE certification and GTS third parties.
1. A wide range of product, including qualitative and quantitative filter papers; also, qualitative filter paper includes standard grade and wet strength grade; quantitative include ashless grade, hardened low ash grade, etc., which is convenient for customers with different needs;
2. Different product diameters:55, 70, 90, 110, 125, 150, 180, 185, 240, 270, and 300mm, easy to choose for different customers;
3. Wet strength grade qualitative filter paper shows superior compressive performance under high pressure and vacuum test conditions and not easy to break.
In addition to filter paper, HAWACH is able to provide you with one-stop shopping for lab consumables. Welcome to contact us.